Friday, June 12, 2015

When is good enough no longer "good enough?"

As we near the upcoming bond vote for Central's proposed remodel project, the opposition is starting to use "good enough" as a reason not to support the project.  So I have to ask, what does "good enough" mean? 
Here is a picture of my truck, a 2002 Chevy Silverado which I bought with 17,000 miles.  By far and away the most dependable, low maintenance vehicle I have ever owned.  Yet, is it "good enough"?  The motor has over 250,000 miles on it and as you can see the body is deteriorating badly.  Should I replace the body and continue to maintain it, or should I start looking for a replacement? 

In essence, this is where we are at with our K-12 building.  43 years since Central last passed a bond issue to do anything major to our facilities.  Like my truck, there comes a time where maintenance no longer makes sense.  Sure we can continue to be "good enough" and maintain our building, and with a "no" vote that is exactly what we will do.  Looking around our community, I don't see anything that says "good enough".  A large investment was made to improve our downtown store fronts.  Our industrial park (CAT, MTS, Alpine, and our Fire Department) all have state of the art buildings.  Looking around this summer I see many residents making improvements to their houses.  Our community became a pioneer with the addition of a whitewater park and Founders Park.  Innovative Ag Services put in a new bin and is moving to a new computerized system to better support farmers.  Again, nowhere do I see "good enough" in our community so why should "good enough" be the standard we want for our school district?

Central has the second lowest tax rate when compared to our neighbors, and the highest overall academics (source- 2014 Iowa Assessments).  Yet we also outsourced $200,000 last year due to our inability to have handicapped students in our building.  These are ongoing costs to taxpayers.  And more importantly, us turning our backs on our local children who have the highest needs.

I will do another piece next week getting more specific about costs, projections, and concerns I am hearing.  I completely understand someone not being able to afford higher taxes.  What I do not understand is how we can have a "good enough" attitude for our children and our community's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment